Want to win with your website? Of course you do! Here are a few Dos and Don'ts for creating a buzzing site.
- Put thought into your design - keep it clean, simple and easy on the eye. A Graphic Designer can help with every detail, from logo design to colour scheme, images and layout.
- Choose a domain name that reflects your brand and what you do. Ideally, pick one that has your company name.
- Make sure the navigation of your website is easy and that it takes users on a natural journey. Speak to a Web Designer about what works best.
- Clearly communicate in words what your business offers, make sure that it is displayed prominently on your homepage.
- Make sure all content is well-written, either by you, your in-house marketing person or a copywriter. Writing for the web requires a different approach from writing a newsletter, and factors like SEO need to be considered.
- Include a call to action - Add buttons such as ‘enquire now’, ‘call today’, ‘get in touch for a free quote’, or ‘email us’.
- Include social media account icons with functioning links to your social pages. They're great for building a community and showcasing your services or products on platforms other than your website.
- If you have recent testimonials from your clients, add them to your website. But make sure they're happy for you to publish them first.
- Ensure visitors to your site can easily find and contact you. Include a physical address, a PO Box, your phone number and an email address.
- Don’t overcomplicate your design. You may have cool, creative ideas about images, colour scheme, text, video, but sometimes it’s best to strip everything back to basics and go with the what's easiest on the eye.
- Don’t keep adding more information to your website as you think of it. Start off by planning your content and write each section of to reflect that.
- Don’t forget your goals - is the goal of your website to make sales online? If so, you'll want it to be an e-commerce site. Is your goal to give away free tips and information to potential clients hoping they'll pick up the phone and engage you for work? Then make sure your site is designed with that in mind.
- Try not to do everything yourself; building and maintaining a website can be time-consuming. It will save you time and money to have experts develop your site.